Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Social Network: or the one that I was all "YAWN" about.

I'm sorry. I don't get it. This is nominated for Best Picture? Why?  I'm so confused. Sure, the story is timely and possibly interesting, but the movie itself was just...meh. I was at a friend's watching and when it ended the four of us looked at each other and were like "Oh...it's over? Well."

Per usual, I tried to figure out the potential messages of the story.  Perhaps:
  1. Don't share your ideas with people, because they will rename them, color them a different color, and call them their own, making them one zillion dollars.
  2. If you loan your friends a lot of money for their pet projects in an attempt to be supportive, they will inevitably meet someone who is flashier than you (although not any more attractive) and will be easily seduced by this flashy, substance-free person and will drop you like an AT&T phone call.
  3. Justin Timberlake can be a decent actor when he is playing a character exactly Justin Timberlake.
  4. "The internet is written in ink, not pencil."
Really, I just don't get it. If this movie wins Best Picture, I might have to start treating the Oscars like the Grammy's. If you loved it, please argue your case, I'm reasonable (mostly).

No comments: