Monday, February 14, 2011

Grammy's: why the hell do we bother?

So, if you've read this blog before, you know I'm kind of into music. Alternative, indie, pop, rock, rap, R&B, gospel, classical, rock en espanol, etc. etc. etc. - I can pretty much love up on anything with a good beat and good lyrics. If you were to randomly stop by my apartment (please don't...it's currently not up to "welcoming guests" standards) you'd be more likely to find me with music on instead of the television. On a monthly basis, I spend 80-90% of my "entertainment" budget on concerts, whether big shows or small jams, I love me some live music.

With that being said, I f**king hate the Grammy's.  WHAT IS UP WITH THAT AWARDS SHOW? It's just flat out weird. It's like they try too hard to either 1) promote new artists, 2) shove overexposed artists further down our throats, 3) resurrect the careers of people who really should just be thankful of their 15 minutes of fame, or 4) completely miss the point of the awards.  It's about MUSIC. It's not about booty shaking (which, don't get me wrong, I love) or fire or elaborate costumes.  If it was an award show for performance art, have at it, but it's not, it's for MUSIC, so please stop your theatrics and just SING/PLAY/Etc.

Sheesh.

*disclaimer: I think winning and/or getting nominated for a Grammy award is pretty much meaningless, because Rilo Kiley has never been nominated for or won a Grammy, and they are the best band that has ever existed, so there.

No comments: