Thursday, February 24, 2011

The King's Speech: or the movie that makes you want to be friends with a royal

This one has been hard to write about, even though I saw it on December 31, because it COULD be my favorite.  A couple disclaimers:

1.  My paternal grandfather is from England.
2.  When I visited London, I felt like I was in a happy place/my magical spot.
3.  I adore the Royal Family.
4.  My favorite accent is a proper British accent.
5.  I like tradition and proper etiquette.
6.  I teach communication classes, and one of them focuses on public speaking skills.
7.  I used to suffer from a high level of communication apprehension.

So, with all that said, this movie made me so happy.  It is an awesome story of battling adversity, tradition, and triumph.  It was the perfect movie to see to end 2010.  My only advice is SEE IT. SEE IT NOW. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT ALREADY.

Ahem. Also, the movie can raise a super interesting discussion about education vs. experience.  As someone who works in higher education, I find it endlessly fascinating that so many people who are teaching people how to do something, for instance succeed in organizations, have never actually worked in an organization other than the Ivory Tower. Fascinates me to no end.

This and The Fighter are my favorites. Similar in theme, which goes to show I am sort of a softie at heart. :)

No comments: