Monday, April 12, 2010

My next target.

In reference to this post, I've decided upon my next minimalism project: my bookshelves.

After paging through (I'm sure I sometimes say "thumbing through") my Google Reader and reading this post about how you can tell a lot about a person based on the books on their shelf, I decided I need to take charge.

I haven't been much of a book buyer for about five or six years.  The reasons I don't buy books is multi-fold: 50% because I find them to be a pain in the arse to move, 15% because I think "Why spend money on something I'm really only going to enjoy once?", 10% because I have friends and a set of parents who are big book buyers who are also good at sharing, and 25% is in response to my inner hippie...I feel bad killing trees for something I can borrow at the library.  That is not to say that I don't ever buy, or want to buy books.  Sometimes I love a book so much that I dog-ear about 75 pages that contain passages or quotes that I find so amazing that I honestly will pick up the book at random and revisit these passages.  I also not-so-secretly covet this collection and plan to buy it when I get in a more permanent set-up, because holy-hell, those are some beautiful hardcovers.

Even though I haven't bought books in a while, I have still accumulated quite a few.  Some were gag gifts, some were randomly given to me, some were left by my mom or dad when they came to visit.  All in all, it makes up for a super random, slightly embarrassing collection.  Therefore, what better place for my next minimalism project?!  'Tis better to minimize this train wreck than have any apartment guests see "Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities" next to "Why You're Still Single" next to "Confessions of a Shopaholic" next to "Bergdorf Blondes" next to "Who Moved My Cheese" next to "Jane Eyre's Guide to Dating". TRAIN WRECK, and I've only actually read three of those.  No, I'm not telling you which three.

1 comment:

lacochran said...

I do notice what people have on their shelves but I don't get too hung up on it. After all, some of those books could have been gifts, as you say.

It's nice to pass books on to charities, though. Give books a new reader. :)