Saturday, November 14, 2009

Things I don't understand

So, in case you were wondering, yes, I was mugged Monday night coming home from work before 10 p.m.  Obviously, this is not cool on many levels, but in trying to keep with a "glass half-full" mentality, it could have been much, much worse.  For instance, it could have been much worse if:
  1. The perp physically assaulted me.
  2. I had my school/work bag, which always has a lot more valuable information in it than my theatre/work bag, such as my memory stick, an MP3 player, etc.
  3. I hadn't thought to put my apartment keys and my phone in my jacket pockets.  Having these things in my pockets enabled me to call 911 as the criminals were running away and also provided me the chance to get home while the police were on their way.
  4. I was not as anal/organized as I am.  I keep a password-protected document on my computer that lists all my credit card numbers, expiration dates, etc. in the event any of those cards are lost or stolen.  This helped me cancel everything and put an alert on my credit report in less than 30 minutes.
  5. I was actually shot.
One thing that is totally annoying me about the whole situation is that I've had to shell out money in order to get things replaced.  Sure, $5 for a replacement license, $1 for a new library card, and $5 for a new Chicago Plus card does not add up to a ton of money ($11 total, if you don't like numbers), but why should I have to PAY?  I mean, I have a police report, it's not like I am a flake and lost these things through my own stupidity.  I totally understand having to pay for replacements when you lose things...I believe in tough love and minor punishments to teach people a lesson, but why should I have to pay for them if they were stolen from me?

As a warning, I think this incident is going to be a catalyst for quite a few posts in the coming days, as some responses/reactions from people have been quite interesting.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, I was super pissed when I had to pay to replace the car window that someone else broke. Thankfully, nothing was in my car that was worth stealing, and I wasn't in the car to be hurt. But, yeah, having to pay for something that someone else got off scott free for sucks, especially when I work hard for my money instead of trying to rob people.

House of Jules said...

Holy crap, I am just getting around to reading this now before I jet out the door for work. I am SO SORRY you got mugged. I like your positive attitude about it, and think you're absolutely right. It could've been a lot worse... but, it still sucks. I'm a big believer in karma, and they'll get what they deserve in some way, shape or form. Glad you're okay.