Thursday, September 3, 2009

Letter to my bank

You know what...maybe I am trying to be a little threatening?  And yes, I like to remind people that I was laid off in order to play the sympathy card.  YES, IT'S GETTING OLD.  But I want results!

This is what I originally wrote:
Greetings!  I have been a customer of XXXXXX for many, many years.  My first ever checking account was opened in 1995 with First Federal of Michigan, which was purchased by XXXXX, and there have been many changes to the bank in the past 14 years. 

I am concerned about my ability to withdraw money from ATM machines.  When I moved to Chicago from the Detroit area, I knew there were not a lot of XXXXX's in the city, however I wanted to stay with the bank out of loyalty.  There were three branches within a couple mile radius (about two miles in each direction) from my apartment, and a branch not far from work.

Now there is only one branch within a three mile radius of my apartment, and I no longer work downtown (I was laid off).  The other day I wanted to cash a check on Diversey, but when I got there I found the branch had been closed.

This is problematic because it's not quick and/or convenient to jet around the city just to get cash, and the fees I am getting charged for ATM withdrawals from other banks is starting to add up.  I am not in a financial position to change accounts, as I cannot commit to a minimum balance, but I wanted to see if there is anything that can be done about the ATM fees I keep incurring.

If not, I'm afraid I will likely have to change banks.  I'm not saying this to be threatening, it's just logistically XXX is difficult for me.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

But due to their "limit" (and they didn't say what that was) this is what I was finally able to submit:

I've been a customer for many years. My 1st account was opened in 1995 with First Federal of MI & there's been many changes to the bank. I am concerned about my ability to access ATM machines. When I moved to Chicago, I knew there were not a lot of XXXXX's, but I wanted to stay with the bank. There were 3 branches within a couple mile radius (about 2 miles in each direction) from my apt, and a branch not far from work. Now there is only one branch within a 3 mile radius of my apt. I no longer work downtown (I was laid off). The other day I wanted to cash a check, but when I got there I found the branch had closed. This is problematic because it's not quick to jet around the city just to get cash, and the fees I am getting charged for ATM use is starting to add up. I am not in a financial position to change accounts, as I cannot commit to a minimum balance, but I wanted to see if there is anything that can be done about the ATM fees I keep incurring. I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: