Sunday, June 28, 2009

Young Adult Book Club

One of my fun school friends, Emily, decided to start a Young Adult book club. The purpose of the book club is to reread books from our youth and discuss them as adults. It can't be silly books like the Sweet Valley series or anything, but award-winning or critically acclaimed books.

Our first book was "Jacob Have I Loved" by Katherine Paterson, which won the Newbury Award in 1980. Ms. Paterson also authored Bridge to Terabithia, another award-winning novel.

I do not recall reading this book when I was younger, but let's be honest, it was a long time ago. I did find the book a bit heartbreaking, as I really related to the main character.

I also wonder if Emily picked this book because she has a young sister who she claims is the "golden child".

I'm looking forward to reading more of these, and hope that people take this book club seriously. I was in a book club when I lived in Michigan and it seemed more like an episode of Talk Soup or Entertainment Tonight, as the members only ever talked about reality TV shows, celebrity gossip, or their husbands/kids/etc. Not so thrilling.

No comments: