Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I hate to be rude, but...

The title statement never, ever precedes something kind. Have you ever noticed that? Any sort of statement where someone is disclaiming their thoughts, such as "I hate to be rude...", "I don't mean to sound like a bitch but..." or "Sorry to be blunt but...", usually is in front of a really inappropriately rude comment.

Keeping that in mind, I want to touch upon pregnant women for a quick minute. No, I clearly do not know what it's like to be pregnant. I do not understand how tired it makes you, how uncomfortable you are, what sort of anxiety you have, what it feels like when a baby kicks, etc. I do, however, know that being pregnant was your choice (and something that many, many women, no matter how hard they try, can never accomplish). With that in mind, could you please stop talking about/complaining about your pregnancy with people who do not know what it's like? Sure, I will sympathetically nod my head and say "Oh wow, I'm so sorry your baby is kicking your ribs", but the appropriate answer is "Thanks...so, did you watch Lost last week?" We do not need to continue to talk about your pregnant belly.

Once...just once...I'd like to say "I hate to be rude, but I really don't care about how uncomfortable your pregnancy is..."

What do you think would happen? I have some ideas.

3 comments:

meh. said...

I feel this way about the statement, "No offense." Well met. And though I'm not talking pregnancy with my friends (yet) I will say the same about "wherever is my fiance, the poor baby."

Ailurophile said...

..I don't think the outcome will be pleasant ;) Pregnant women are also often emotional! And yay..you posted again! Anyway take care :)

Holly Cummings said...

Haha, this is totally what I think when my pregnant patients complain to me about their pregnancies at their prenatal visits! It's hot out and you're 8 months pregnant? Suck it up, lady, I don't want to hear it! (Note, I only think this at the healthy pregnant women.) Maybe part of it is due to the fact that I haven't been pregnant and can't relate, but I also have an "either way, it's your own fault" mindset (either you planned to get pregnant, in which case what are you complaining about, or you didn't plan to get pregnant, in which case why didn't you listen to me about using birth control) and think they shouldn't be complaining about the heat and humidity.

(However, in my own defense, these thoughts only run through my head, and I always say, "Oh sweetie, it won't be August much longer, and things will get better." I'm a good doctor, I swear!)