Monday, July 21, 2008

Day 26 - The day I question the logic of the summer scarf trend.

This past weekend I spent lots of time outdoors, sweating while doing nothing more than standing, testing the effectiveness of spray-on sunscreen (life changing product), evaluating interesting tattoos (I swear I saw more than one person with a tattoo of the outline of the state of Ohio) and listening to fantastic musicians at the Pitchfork Music Festival in Union Park, Chicago. Thanks to the Huntress, I got some hipster cred with a VIP pass, which tragically failed to cover up the fact I own not only the New Kids on the Block Greatest Hits CD, but also the Debbie Gibson and Britney Spears Greatest Hits CD's. I also have the Tupac Shakur, Creedence Clearwater Revival, ABBA, Notorious BIG and New Edition Greatest Hits CD, however no one really gives me any credit, good or bad, for those.

While the weather was not SWELTERING hot, it was hot enough to sweat non-stop, since it was really the end of the first continually hot week we've had so far this summer. Both days of the festival I showered and washed my hair prior to departing and decided to not even bother trying to do anything with it, because we all know where it will end up. In a ponytail or bun-ponytail hybrid. My hair is heavy, unruly and has a tendency to turn in to a Diana Ross-esque do when subjected to heat and humidity. I did try to leave it down so it could dry without ponyholder kinks, however once I got to the moment I was free to pull it up and off my neck, the drop in my personal temperature was immediate. It's like taking a down comforter off, and that's not at all an exaggeration. Well, maybe a little.

Keeping this memory in mind, since it's just a day later, when I saw someone wearing an adorable sundress with a brightly colored scarf looped multiple times around their neck, I thought "They look so cute, but WTF is up with scarves in the summer? Isn't her neck hot? Wouldn't she be more comfortable if her neck was allowed to breathe?" It wasn't that hot today, but still. I'm all for cute outfits and great accessories, but I think accessories should be logical. I've been trying to update my wardrobe (not recently, since I'm on a spending freeze), but I just don't think I could spend money (I can't call it hard-earned since it'd just be from an unemployment check) on something that would just make my temperature rise at least 4 - 5 degrees. Do you think summer scarves are contributing to global warming?

No comments: