Thursday, July 29, 2010

All or nothing.

I have to admit that I am always really fascinated by people who live on the extreme end of something. For instance people who are extreme athletes, people who leave a minimal impact on the environment, people who go a year without buying anything made in China, people who eat only raw foods, people who live REALLY minimally, people who hunt rare fruits, people who follow every rule in the Bible...I could go on and on, because there are a lot of people who are super extreme about one thing or another.  Sometimes it's for life, sometimes it's just for a month or year, but regardless, it fascinates me.

The most recent fascination has been with people who took the "Six Items or Less" challenge.  I heard about this challenge on the news, then saw the New York Times bit, so I had to check out the website.

Wow. Six items for 30 days. I am afraid I do not have the confidence or the gumption to pull this off. I know this study claims people don't notice, but the people I know totally notice. I agree with a lot of what they have to say, especially about quality over quantity (how many things from Old Navy have you thrown out in the past two years? Probably everything you've bought more than eight months ago from Old Navy), but I just do not think there is one iota of a chance that I could ever follow this.

Do you think you could?

No comments: