Saturday, February 20, 2010

*whimper*

I am starting to feel the pressure of my February blogging pledge and my Academy Award Best Picture nominated movie watching.  I have nine more consecutive days to blog and three more movies to watch by March 7th.  I know that doesn't sound like much but I am fragile and lack concentration and focus and am starting to frequently do that thing where I clench my jaw unconsciously and make my face/neck hurt.  How does one stop doing that?!

The other day a woman I hardly know said to me (after a short conversation) "It sounds like you are really hard on yourself..."  Throughout life, people have told me that exact thing at least one hundred times but yet no one offers me any suggestions or insight into how to stop it.  I belong to the school of thought that if you're going to complain about something, you must offer a solution on how to make the situation better.  I swear, the next time someone tells me I'm too hard on myself, I'm going to say "Okay, noted...but WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

learn to meditate.

Jen said...

Yeah, people always told me the same thing, "You're harder on yourself than anyone else ever could be." It's odd, but when I start getting down on myself, just thinking that I'm being harder on myself than anyone else helps me put it in perspective. Sometimes that's not the case at all, and I have found that blowing off steam at the gym can work too. Writing in a journal helps get it all out. And like the other guy said, meditation. I have found several things to be meditative: yoga, long walks, intense runs, a dance class, turning music on and just letting it do what it does. And if all else fails, a shot of good tequila does wonders for my nerves. ;)