Saturday, February 13, 2010

BLAZING MAD!

I adore the Olympics. Some women watch Lifetime movies (I totally don't...honestly never have and really hope I never will), but I prefer to get my emotional overload from the trials and triumphs of elite athletes.  I love Olympic athletes because they are in it for the LOVE OF THE GAME, not necessarily for fame and fortune.  Most of the sports at the Olympics hardly have any true media presence, and are usually only given attention once or twice every four years.

Naturally, I spent Friday night at home, watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies.  Some friends and I tossed around the idea of watching them at a bar, but frankly, staying at home was probably better. I may have been embarrassed when I burst into tears when the athletes/representation from Georgia got a standing ovation or when I openly drooled over a lot of the male athletes (especially from South American or Nordic countries...hubba hubba).

Most definitely, I would have gotten into a knock-em-down-drag-out fight over how REPULSIVE I think it is that the Official TEAM USA Opening Ceremony Knit Sweater is FOUR HUNDRED AND TWENTY-FIVE FUC*ING DOLLARS and it's NOT MADE IN THE USA!  OH. MY. GAWD.  How ridiculous is that?!  Ralph Lauren knows (banks on) that America thrives on a culture of consumption, one that is all about having the "newest, coolest, biggest, best, ETC". Of course talking about our consumption culture is a post all in itself, and one that I'm not really qualified to comment on (fortunately, she can), but I just find it offensive that they'd market/promote such expensive clothes to the masses during these economic times. I understand it's a business, perhaps their sponsorship deal was done before the economic downturn of 2008, but I really doubt it.  Yes, I think they look sharp, in general, but I'm just appalled that all the Team USA clothes are "imported" (which is what it says on their website).  I called the Ralph Lauren customer service line to see where the knit sweater was made (yes, I really did...it's a 1-800 number) but the woman who answered couldn't tell me.  She told me to call back during regular customer service line business hours (of course, I find it odd that they wouldn't have actual customer service rep's working now, to take orders for Olympic gear).

Anyone else find this a little shocking and upsetting?

5 comments:

Taylor Rae said...

Hahahaha..... Your blogs are so interesting. They really make me think XD

Dana Greene said...

Agreed.

You're about to get me into a rant about the USA's materialism, but when I do that I end up bantering on for so long that it begins to make less sense.

I even feel like $20 is too much to pay for a simple shirt or $40 for a pair of jeans(by the average person). And these are normal prices. I can go to Goodwill and thrift stores to put a little effort into digging around to find clothes that are just as nice and only one fourth of the price.

jasonbob said...

goyard
goyard handbags
yeezy
supreme
yeezy shoes
goyard tote
supreme outlet

Anonymous said...

replica bags on amazon hermes replica handbags x9g84l3d88 replica bags wholesale replica bags cheap hop over to this web-site m7n74p7u49 replica bags in dubai replica bags online shopping india fake gucci e3q54m5y43 replica bags india

Anonymous said...

s0f00h2k89 g4n30f7c18 s6a45c2u72 o6w06i1u89 b8w64z2a46 d8q65b3r58