Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wastin' time

I find people like to be really judgemental about how other people spend their time. I'm sure you've all heard someone say "He's got too much time on his hands..." or something along those lines. Now, I'm not a scientist or a physicist, but I'm pretty sure everyone gets the same amount of time. Regardless of where you live, no matter your color, ethnicity, sex, religious preference, sexual preference, we all have 24 hours in the day, seven days in a week and 365 days in a year. So why must we pass judgement on how other people choose to use their time?

The time-hating generally seems to happen when a person witnesses someone doing something really fun or clever that happens to be time-consuming. Just this week I was telling someone I accidentally dropped my brand new carton of eggs, thereby cracking five eggs. Well, I didn't want to just throw out the eggs, so I went online and looked up recipes. I was trying to be resourceful. My story was met with "Have a little time on your hands?!" and a snide chuckle. Um. I don't know if they aren't familiar but the internet is pretty fast (Thanks Al!). It doesn't take long to look up something. The whole process of trying to find a recipe probably took me less than 10 minutes and I got a tasty, albeit eccentric, meal out of it.

Everyone has things they like to do. Whether it be an extreme amount of television or movie watching, a voracious appetite for celebrity gossip, a fanatical devotion to exercise, a passion for reading blogs, bird watching, reading, stamp collecting, working (that's so not me), sleeping, drinking, ho'ing...whatever it is, it's how they want to spend their time. Why do other people find it necessary to weigh in on whether or not they think they are using their time wisely? We are only in this life, in this skin, once. We might as well get as much pleasure from it as possible (within reason, of course).

So, the next time you find yourself thinking "Gosh, they must have a lot of time on their hands if they were able to alphabetize their 1,000 CD's/color coordinate their closet/scrapbook their college memories..." or something of the like, remember the day you spent on your couch watching a marathon of "The Hills". Or the time you spent 8 hours at the mall trying to find a pair of jeans that made your butt look awesome. Or the day you slept for 13 hours straight. Or every time you look at stupid blogs. Remember these times are because you have a CHOICE, and who are we to say someone's making the wrong choice?

No comments: